Friday 22 March 2013

St. Austell Proper Job

St. Austell Proper Job
Style: Indian Pale Ale
Alcohol Content: 5%
From:St Austell, Cornwall, England, UK
Purachsed From: Tesco

St Austell Brewery is a brewery founded in 1851 by Walter Hicks in St Austell, Cornwall, England. The brewery's flagship beer is Tribute Ale, which accounts for around 80% of sales. Tribute was created to commemorate the 1999 solar eclipse, and has won several awards around the UK since. This includes becoming the Winner of the SIBA South West awards in 2007. Other popular ales include Proper Job, Tinner's Ale and Duchy Bitter. Personally, I am a massive fan of Tribute. Ever since I first tried it down in Somerset, it will always be my go to pint in my work local, the Jolly farmer. So with that in mind; I am looking forward to trying this beer.

The next couple of reviews will be slightly different to my previous posts. Last Sunday, I took four bottles of craft beer over to my parents house. Myself and my dad would have half a bottle each and review them together. Since i have been writing my blog, my dad has been very supportive and curious about the craft beer world. Below is a picture of the four beers i took over to my parents. This should be interesting!

 
 

Colour: A glorious light amber. It looks almost like heaven it's self. Once poured, you will notice that this beer is heavily carbonated. Upon looking at my dad's glass, I noticed that his vessel was slightly flatter. After closer inspection (and reading the bottle), we decided that my glass had some of the yeast from the bottle conditioning in it. This caused a secondary carbonation in the glass. The head is a brilliant white that will linger throughout you drinking experience.

Aroma: As soon as you open the bottle you are blasted with notes of sweet grapefruit and oranges. You can tell my old man was impressed, as he did not describe the aroma as "malty" as he seem to say about all beers. Instead he suggested oranges, lemons and kiwi. Maybe my influence is starting to rub off on him.

Body: After a few sips, I think my dad is rather taken with this beer. After carefully placing his beer on a coaster, he declares; "You know what? I wish I had knew about this beer ages ago. It's my perfect summer beer. How many did you buy of these?" There is a lovely crisp feel to this beer. Refreshing and delicate on the palate, this ale is getting a thumbs up from the Parsons boys. Just have to try and convert my little brother now.

Taste: Now for the tasting. Taking my first sip, I pick up notes of juicy citrus fruit such as oranges, lemons and kiwi. There is a slight sweet honey quality to the finish which is cut though by a bitter hop blast. This leaves you wanting another more. The old man suggested, "The lemony flavour makes this beer refreshing and extremely drinkable." High praise indeed from the big man.



Follow me on Twitter for the latest news on reviews @BeefsBrewery

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;